Wanna Connect With Me...

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Being Introvert is OK... Personality Check - Part 1


My readers have been screaming loud at me to write small. There are too many things attached to my life and those I would want to share but covering them all in a single post, I am sure to loose a couple more readers. Lolz. So here is one of those loose parts to my personality. I will have more of it coming in shorter posts like this.


Introvert was the word used to describe me in high school. That, and the boy with the freakishly skinny wrists. But then my entry into Bachelors had a deep impact in the way I approached life. Suddenly, my need for friends and fun outweighed the fear, and my life as a social butterfly began in full force. Thanks to my friends who are still my strength in many ways, I am what I am today.


That move was a turning point for me. I had lots of friends and I liked it that way. I wanted to be with people and always know what was going on. Still, I craved alone time but often skipped it for fear of missing out. As a result, whenever I took personality tests through family gatherings and fests, I was always pegged an extrovert. I was deeply rooted to my thought of being an extrovert, probably because I was given such care and comfort to work around. My stay in Tulsa, Oklahoma was a decisive chapter in the way things changed around me. I was loved, cared, and given freedom to do what ever I want, and the best part of it was how people loved me. They loved me for what I am and never wanted to see a different Phani from the time the Sun rose early morning. And that gave me confidence and the desire to function life in my way and that is how I saw myself, an extrovert.


Year later, now after I have a job and also so many friends to play with, I realize the truth: I am actually an introvert. People who know me in real life are sometimes surprised to hear that. I wouldn't call myself an extreme introvert, but I think I am returning to my kindergarten roots in a way. I'm no longer shy with people, but my energy is found only after time alone. The pressures of work & job search smoked the introvert right out of me.


Lately I've been thinking about education and personality. Sometimes it feels like I will explode from the inside if I don't have the opportunity to just be alone without the chatter. I need time to do important introverty things like stare out the window, sit for no reason, or write bad first drafts without an agenda.


But being occupied with so many things does not allow for such luxuries a lot of the time. Instead, I improvise. I find little ways and crazy times to squeeze in the quiet.


Director M. Night Shyamalan [The Sixth Sense; Signs], who was born in India, raised as a Hindu but whose parents sent him to Catholic school for discipline, admits he was a sensitive kid like his young protagonists.


"I was an overly sensitive kid for sure," he says, "and definitely shy. But with my friends I definitely wasn't shy. I was the smallest guy. I was the one leading everyone around. That kind of evolved into making movies where.. I get paid to boss everybody around."


How does your personality affect your work? What are some things you have discovered to help you maintain the balance between being who you are and being who those loved ones need you to be?...these questions always swirl in my mind and are cluttered as heavy as hell!!!.

5 comments:

Ramesh said...

finally you zeroed on being an introvert....lol everyone knew it long back...

Phanindra Ketavarapu said...

Thanks...but you cannot be so generic...if everyone knew I would have realized it a long time back...I guess my post deserves more thought...leave it to me to make that decision...my thoughts are after all mine right...lolz

Naganand said...

u remember the time when u stopped talking to me because I called u an introvert? (In intermediate and u dint talk to me almost for an year) well,I dint use exactly the word introvert but i said:" u behave weirdly with people when they try to talk to you .....especially strangers and girls"....u dint buy that view at that time....after so many years of ntrospection u have finally reached the same conclusion....so believe me and follow me....tht would save u yrs of time and efforts....
cheers

Phanindra Ketavarapu said...

@Naganand: Thanks brother...yes I do remember and I am sure it wasn't this silly...I would neva stop talking to somebody for a reason as silly as this...there have been many who have pointed fingers at me...some I took constructively and others I let them go over my head...but neva was a situation where i stopped talking to somebody...its not my cup of tea...anyways....thanks ra...i will recollect the incident and email u in detail...

Phanindra Ketavarapu said...

Hi phani,

I have read few of your postings. I also read some of the discussion you had with some rohit agarwal regarding Varun Gandhi incident. First of all let me tell you I was completely bowled over when I saw the postings and the quality of your blogs. Congratulations to you on that for developing such a strong perspective on issues.

Being you friend for long I take liberty of pointing out some issues as an overall cover up for the blogs so far I have missed. Phani, though u claim to be un-biased in ur postings, and (let me tell you, you have tried outstandingly well) I could trace out ur opnion. I felt after reading your postings, like many even you fall into to the new age youth who are highly influenced by the Media. The following are some facts for you:

1) the print and press media is completely under the control of Congress. Incidents like varun Gandhi's blow up etc are purely political. The media is not concerned about the secular stand of the country. At least thats what is evident from the news articles they put up and the shows they broad cast.
2) What has happened in Gujarat was uncalled for. I completely agree. But once that incident happened many were convicted for that incident. This was during the BJP's rule itself. As we all know sikh riots were conducted by congress party workers and leaders. There are video footages and evidences for this. Even then one person was also not convicted. One accused was given clean chit just before the elections (Jagdish tytler).
3) Demographic restructuring of Indian society is taking place in great speed. Conversions by Christians and Muslims is taking place. So, People who are supporting Hinduism openly are not trying to disturb the secularism. They trying to save their religion in order to avoid the demographic re structuring. But if government does not allow even such processions then what will we do? People will resort to activities like attacks on bars etc. This is wrong, but what is the option? Leave it for fate and become a minority eventually?
4) Everyone tries to protect their origin. Their identity. The problem in our country is if hindu says aloud that I am a Hindu people say that he/she is a communal element. But if a Muslim or Christian says the same thing all the rationalism and equality of rights comes to picture. That is what needs to be changed. We need not kill muslims or supress them. But if a Varun Gandhi incident is taken so seriously by media then why dint they take the D.srinivas rao case when he said he will cut fingers of people who point against muslims. That was so well managed to not to come out.....many of them dont even know about that.



I will post a blog on atrocities on Hindus. That might help you in understanding the dangerous spine chilling scenario that is emerging in India. If possible read this book called: "Hindus Under Siege" by Subramanya swamy. He is not some saint. He is one of the finest minds of India and got a doctorate in Law from Harvard at 26. Leave his opinions. Take the facts and think over gain.

keep posting

Cheers
Naganand